Baking Soda Stomach Acid Assessment

I continue to be amazed at the number of people on acid reflux medications. My question for them – are these medications necessary or are you actually suffering from a lack of acid in the stomach.  Surprisingly, the symptoms of low acid are very similar to the symptoms of high acid in the stomach.

Low Levels of stomach acid (hydrochloric acid or HCL) can be responsible for a number of chronic conditions.

1) HCL converts pesinogen into pepsin which helps to break proteins down more easily.
2) Creates the proper pH in the small intestine to prevent bacterial overgrowths from harmful bacteria.
3) A lack of HCG may cause inflammation and Leaky Gut syndrome.
4) Low HCL may cause chronic candida/yeast conditions as the ph in the small intestine is not where it should be.

Symptoms of too low a level of stomach acid can and will mimic the appearance of too much stomach acid. You need to know where you stand – do you truly have too high a level of HCL or too low a level? It is easy to find out with a baking soda stomach acid assessment.

HCL reacts with baking soda to form Carbon Dioxide and Water. Taking a small amount of baking soda and timing how long it takes for you to belch will give an indication of your stomach acid level.

1. It is best to perform this test in the morning before having anything to eat or drink. Your stomach acid should be at its lowest ph (or most acidic) in the morning.
2. Mix 1/4 tsp of baking soda in 8 ounces of water and drink.
3. Time how long it takes you to burp – no need to time after 5 minutes have passed.

a. if you burp immediately and a lot – your stomach acid level is probably too high. (if you start burping immediately, you do not need to finish the glass).
b. If you burp in 2-3 minutes your acid levels are about right.
c. If it takes 5 minutes or longer to burp, your stomach acid is probably too low.

When I did this test, I finally burped a little bit after 25 minutes. Looks like I need HCL supplementation!

Have a great Day!

About Leanne

I'm Leanne Felzien - Stopyeast.com website author I guess I am the one who started this whole thing because of ongoing problems with yeast issues. I finally got fed up with getting the run around from my doctor about my health problems and took control of my own health. I am here to help you through candida cleanses and any other issues related to gastrointestinal health that I can. I am not a doctor, but my experience with fighting digestive problems is something I have gained through personal experience and helping many others through this same battle.
This entry was posted in men's concerns, miscellaneous, natural health, women's concerns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Baking Soda Stomach Acid Assessment

1. danielle says:

I burped twice while drinking the mixture, but isn’t it normal to burp while gulping down water anyway? After I finished, I waited 5 minutes and didn’t burp at all.
    Are my level high or low?

• Leanne says:

Danielle,

You probably need to try the test again. You don’t have to gulp down the mixture; try to drink it slowly enough to not produce a burp and then see how you do. Typically, however, if you have high stomach acid you would be burping will drinking and for a good 15 minutes after, too.

2. Lana says:

I didn’t burp at all ,what does it means?

3. marina says:

What is the proportion of baking soda and water to test 2 year old toddler?
    thanks for reply

4. After I drank the whole glass ( while trying not to gulp air), in about 1 minute I had a slight burp, and then no burps at all until about 5 minutes when I burped 2 regular burps. Then no more. How would you interpret that?
    Thanks, August.
    PS: I’ll repeat tomorrow to compare.

• Leanne says:

August, sounds like low stomach acid to me. You can try adding a little vinegar before each meal and see if that helps your digestion.

5. gabby says:

I had a teeny burp at 2:30 minutes. I have drank 1/4 baking soda and 1/2 cup water in the past for acid reflux as a natural remedy and usually burped hugely within 5-10 minutes but with having to kind of force myself by swallowing large gulps of air and having my husband basically burp me. I did not have a “belch” this morning when I did this. Just a slight burp. What do you think?
    Thanks,
    g~

• Leanne says:

definitely low stomach – you might try taking a teaspoon or two of vinegar before meals. Thanks! ~ Leanne

• gabby says:

Thank you. I am going to repeat the test tomorrow just to be on the safe side. I currently take Prevacid in the AM. I have been suffering with what I thought was reflux for 5 yrs after the birth of my 2nd son. My brother in law gave me HCL with pepsin and I researched it and found your site. How long does someone need to take HCL supplement? And do they have to take it with every meal or just meals with protein? I haven’t eaten red meat in 4 yrs after trying to figure out what caused my reflux. Or lettuce :( I would love to try the HCL if I don’t burp tomorrow but just need more guidance on how much and how often to take it. Thanks again, g~

6. gabby says:

I did it again this morning and didn’t burp at all. I did 1/4 tsp baking soda in 8 oz of water. What do you think?
    Thanks,
    g~

7. General says:

Help Please!!!
    I have had too many tests to list and no help…
    I suffer everyday and just did the test.. Drank the 8 oz solution, could feel rumbling activity around 1:45, no belch forced out but I could have assisted it a bit to get it out…. then around 4:30 one belch then nothing after that for the rest of the night… So I need to know if its an uncontrolled unstoppable belch or just or can it be helped out…
    Thanks a ton if you can assist me in any way..
    General

• Leanne says:

Sounds like you don’t have very much stomach acid since you didn’t belch – the gas build up wasn’t enough to cause you to burp. I would suggest trying a little vinegar before your meals or taking a HCL (hydrochloric acid) supplement to help your digestion.

8. H Mehling says:

Bakeing soda is bad for people with hart trouble, as it says on the container. The only thing I have taken baking soda for is indigestion, same dosage. Dr. Kaufman says acid reflux is caused more by too little acid than too much.

• Leanne says:

Which is why you just do this test one time to test your acid level. I do agree that acid reflux symptoms often come more from too little acid than too much.

9. Josie Cocnavitch says:

I tried the baking soda in a glass of water and I was belching within a few seconds.

Does this mean that I have to much acid?

10. DJ Bush says:

I have tried the baking soda test several times and the results always show that I am low on stomach acid. But when I try taking HCL, it gives me terrible heartburn. So I don’t take anything and then always have candida issues. Should I just take it with protein meals or what? I have a very sensitive bladder and too much acid causes frequent uriniation, so I have that to deal with also. I have been off the the threelac for a while, need to order again.

Donna Bush

11. Josie Cocnavitch says:

I tried the baking soda test and I was belching within seconds. Does this mean that I have too much acid, b/c I have constant indigestion and heart burn.

12. Stephanie says:

Hi Leanne,

I went to see an iridologist who recommended I drink 100mL water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda for 10days. He never said (and I didn’t think to ask) what time of the day I ought to be taking this mixture and whether it needs to be taken at a certain time away from other food (i.e half an hour before or after eating).

Are you please able to advise how I should be taking this mixture?

(For the record, I drank the bicarb/water mix this morning and straight away followed it by eating breakfast. I did not belch at all)

Thanks

13. Tom says:

I did the test on 2 consecutive days. Day 1: I mixed one-fourth teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of water and drank. Result: no burp at all. Day 2: I mixed one-third teaspoon baking soda in 6 ounces of water and drank. Result: no burp at all. Tomorrow I’ll try one-half teaspoon in 6 ounces of water.
    Question: is this test foolproof? Logically it sounds like it should work, but I’m having my doubts.

14. Todd says:

I have thought low acid all along will cause reflux like symptoms. Thanks for confirmation. I wish doctors new instead of pushing med to lower acid. I did the test. I had a SLIGHT girgle sound within 10 seconds and then nothing. No real burp . I assume low acid but will repeat the test tomorrw. I did have gas come out the other end within the five minutes but I dint know if that means anything? Thanks again,Todd

15. Keith says:

Bottom line I did not burp at all. I have felt that I had low stomach acid for a long time. I’m a blood type A, and I’ve read that A’s typically have low stomach acid. My MD told me that I had GERD, and had me taking Prevacid for ten years, as he thought I had too much stomach acid.
    So sounds like I need HCL. Does your company sell it, and if so, how much should I take?

• Leanne says:

Hi Keith, I was the same way – no stomach acid at all. You may want to check your adrenal glands to see this may be causing the acid shortfall. I am afraid we do not supply HCL, but this is pretty easy to pick up at your local health food store. Thanks! Leanne